+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: problems with an 05 Duramax...

problems with an 05 Duramax...

A neighbor of mine is having problems with his 05 Duramax. It will not go over 2000 RPM. I scanned it with my AE and no codes showed up. I tried to run some test but the AE only had a fuel tank test.

Anyone have any pointers on how to get my AE to run tests on a Duramax?? Any idea on what could be causing it not to rev past 2000 RPM??

He has an Air Dog, EFI Live and twin CP3s.

Thanks for the help.

Barry
    Barry aka - "BTS Bubba" If you need help with your truck feel free to drop me a line...99.5 F-350 PSD Lariat, 4x4 Off Road, CC, SB, 3.73's, NVK2, DP 60 Tow/80 Econ/120 Race/ 140 Ex, Terminator Twin Pumps, Swamps 200/30 AA Injectors, Swamps IDM, GT38R Turbo, BTS Trans and T/C, V-10 and Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Evans NPG Coolant, ART Cryogenically Treated & Slotted Rotors with Performance Friction Brake Pads, Dynatrac Spin Free HD Front Hubs, Ford AIS Intake, 4 inch Stainless Exhaust from turbo to 5 inch chrome tip. Auto Meter Cobalt Gauges. 35X12.5 BFG KO's on 16x10 Rims, Bilstein Shocks

I'm assuming your AE is not just the Ford only?

Does it sound like it is hitting a rev limiter? Does it do this in park/neutral or just in gear? Maybe a cam sensor? Just shooting in the dark.

other then that, I don't know much about the Dmax. I'd say first to return it to stock programming.

Good Luck
    Jody
    480-654-0194
    http://www.thepudgypup.com
    97 F350 OBS (Old Big and not so Slow any mo) 2wd, CCLB
    150/146 Baby Swamp Injectors, WWII
    3" DP/4" MBRP, AEM Water/Meth, AFE Intake, DP Tuner (Remote Start, 20 tow, 60 tow, 80 Econo, 120 race, High Idle) Solid Shift Extreme duty trans. BD exhaust brake/Trans lockup, 30 gallon transfer tank.

It does it in park and in any gear. I did ask him to put it back to the stock tune.
    Barry aka - "BTS Bubba" If you need help with your truck feel free to drop me a line...99.5 F-350 PSD Lariat, 4x4 Off Road, CC, SB, 3.73's, NVK2, DP 60 Tow/80 Econ/120 Race/ 140 Ex, Terminator Twin Pumps, Swamps 200/30 AA Injectors, Swamps IDM, GT38R Turbo, BTS Trans and T/C, V-10 and Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Evans NPG Coolant, ART Cryogenically Treated & Slotted Rotors with Performance Friction Brake Pads, Dynatrac Spin Free HD Front Hubs, Ford AIS Intake, 4 inch Stainless Exhaust from turbo to 5 inch chrome tip. Auto Meter Cobalt Gauges. 35X12.5 BFG KO's on 16x10 Rims, Bilstein Shocks

The 05 is a weird one. I know a few people that have had issues with them. Most common is overheating (water temp) I was thinking a fuel issue. While driving does it have good power until 2000? Maybe a tuning thing also.
    Glen early 99 2wd drw cc lb autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jwvb, Adrenaline oil, trucool cooler, cooling mist, spin on trans filter, firestone air bags, 2" leveling kit, Now chased by a 34' Tail-gotor

going on what Glen said, maybe it is in some kind of limp-home mode. or does it have some sort of valet mode in a security system that keeps it to lower rpms.
    Tom
    '03 psd 7.3ltr, AIS FILTER, DP-TUNER, ZOODAD, 6.0 TRANS COOLER,50 GALLON TRANSFERFLOW, AUTOMETER PYRO. AND BOOST,coolant filter, 4" MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST. custom made bellowed uppipes.

I have had difficulty getting my AE to communicate with my buddy's 07 D-max so it only gave me basic options, which is what it sounds like you have. Once you select the right protocol, you will see you have quite a few more parameters and tests that you can run. I know the LBZ is a bit different than the LLY, but the computers are the same. I saved the settings to a file but it won't allow me to upload it. I tried to zip it and it still won't let me. Let me know your email address and I'll send it to you, Barry. I don't remember which setting it should be or I would just tell you, but AutoDetect WOULDN'T work.
    Shawn Carlson
    Proud Navy Vet
    2005 Ford F-250 CCSB

Thanks Shawn...

My e-mail is bstartz@triumphgroup.com I was able to auto detect with my pro-line connector. I was able to read all the info from the PCM. I just was not able to perform the tests.

It has good power up to 2K. I do believe it is going in to limp mode. I don't understand why it is not throwing a code?? His trans temp and eng temp looked good so that is not the problem...

Sounds to me like the trans is upset about something. Was he racing it before this issue came up?
    -Dan
    2006 Dark Slate F350 Lariat Tow Boss Complete with training wheels so I don't tip over.

Strictly Aux cooling lines and RR, Decked Block and heads rebuilt, ARP's, BPD EGR cooler and W/Pump, 6" Aussies, SCT W/ID Tunes, Snow MPG-Max Injection, Coolant filt, Train Horns, Edge CTS + Autometer EGT Boost Trans, Firestone bags,
    Mike, you will be missed. RIP 09-25-09
    Jerry, Keep on Honkin' RIP 04-05-10

No he was not racing... He was pulling out in traffic and almost got nailed when it fell on its face...

It's on its way.
    Shawn Carlson
    Proud Navy Vet
    2005 Ford F-250 CCSB

Quote Originally Posted by Slated4Greatness View Post
    Sounds to me like the trans is upset about something. Was he racing it before this issue came up?
    Would that stop the RPM's at 2000 when in park or neutral?
    Jody
    480-654-0194
    http://www.thepudgypup.com
    97 F350 OBS (Old Big and not so Slow any mo) 2wd, CCLB
    150/146 Baby Swamp Injectors, WWII
    3" DP/4" MBRP, AEM Water/Meth, AFE Intake, DP Tuner (Remote Start, 20 tow, 60 tow, 80 Econo, 120 race, High Idle) Solid Shift Extreme duty trans. BD exhaust brake/Trans lockup, 30 gallon transfer tank.

Thanks Shawn... I found some interesting data on the AE Web Site. It shows the AE will only test the following on GM..

ABS Automated Bleed Routine (ProLine Connector)
    Crank Variation Learn (See: GM-specific vehicle systems for engines support details.)
    Injector Flow Rate Programming (CAN Based Diesels)
    TDC Learn

The AE will test the following on Ford...

PATS Timed Key Programming ('96 - '08)
    KOEO
    KOER
    Power Balance (CAN-based models)
    EVAP Bay Test
    Service Bleed (Non-CAN support not available with ProLine currently)
    Buzz Injector
    Cylinder Contribution Test
    Switch Test
    Glow Plug Test
    System Self-Test
    Low - and High Speed Fan
    All Outputs On/Off
    Injector Coding (1.8L and 2.0L)
    KAM Reset
    Tire Size Programming up to 40" ('99-'03 7.3L, and '04-'07 6.0L trucks)
    IVD Initialization
    Steering Angle / Yaw Rate / Acceleration Sensor Reset ('03 Explorer and Lincoln LS)
    Passenger Seat ReZero
    Power Seat Calibration Test
    Audio Network Communication Test
    Vehicle In-Motion IO Test
    Front Wiper Self-Test
    Rear Wiper Self-Test
    Diesel Particulant Filter Reset, Clear EGR Adaptive Tables, and Clear Fuel Injector Adaptive Tables

I am not sure if the AE does not have the capability to test more on the GM or the PCM on the GM is not as smart as the Ford

I thought there was something like 7 computers that are used on the GM setup.
    Shawn Carlson
    Proud Navy Vet
    2005 Ford F-250 CCSB

Yes... There are a bunch of computers on his truck. It took about 5 times longer for my AE to get all the data from them compared to my truck. You would think with all those computers it would have a ton of self tests...

could it have a crank position sensor on its way out--I've seen it on other brands of vehicles.
    Tom
    '03 psd 7.3ltr, AIS FILTER, DP-TUNER, ZOODAD, 6.0 TRANS COOLER,50 GALLON TRANSFERFLOW, AUTOMETER PYRO. AND BOOST,coolant filter, 4" MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST. custom made bellowed uppipes.

+ Reply to Thread