+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surging Idle and stalling.

Surging Idle and stalling.

Alright, the rig is acting up again.

I had to take a drive outta town this weekend and the rig just didnt feel right. First off the throttle response seemed a bit off, and I noticed that with initial tip in of the throttle the RPMS would dip to 500 rpms or lower and then the fueling would catchup and the truck would rocket off. Then, at stops, the rpms are dropping to 500 rpms and sometimes low enough to just stall out. This is not a regular thing that I can reproduce over and over again, but it happens often. While stopped, if the rig didnt stall out, the rpsm will surge. The needle will just go up and down to a steady beat and stay between 1100 rpms and 4-500 rmps. If the high idle kicks on its not an issue. Does it hot or cold. I thought it might be an ICP issue so I puilled the plug and the idle sound changed a bit but then the truck stalled out. Not sure if that negates it our not.

Lastly, the truck rpms will drop to idle and then jump back up, all within a matter of a second or two and it seems to be in conjunction with the WIPERS???? All this happens at speed...slow fast...part throttle or buried... It did happen once or twice while stopped and then it just stalls. This one makes me think short somewhere....Its not consistent but I did notice that when I would activate the wipers the truck would skip a beat and then recover. this would trip a cel but cycling the key would reset the light and a scan from Orielly's revealed nothing, and they didnt have a reader that would dig far enough into the system or take real time readings.
    Lastly, when i finally made it home last night, everytime I tried to plug in my block heater or my fuel heater, the GFI I was plugged into would pop. I crawled all over the truck in 10* weather outside in a foot of snow in the dark and checked each cord for breakage, chafing etc and found nothing. So I started the truck and was able after a few tries to get it to stumble after hitting the wipers and then i could plug in the heaters.

What gets me is I had a problem with the stalling a few times back in the summer when the wipers werent being used and it would stall out entirely, not just hiccup, then, magically it went away.

Sorry for the disertation, just frustrated because I need to take this thing outta town again Friday and I just dumped money into a new WP and Fuel Pump....only to have it act strange on a short 400 mile round trip...

thanks up front for any help.

its a 99, auto, DP tuner, AFE stg II, 4" exhaust, turbo mods, no EBPV, too many to really list.....
    Last edited by 99.5stroker; 02-01-2010 at 07:36 AM.
    99 F-350 4x4
    Sold....

98 Jetta Tdi
    Sold....
    71 Suburban K20
    12v heart transplant complete...

Has the windshield leaked and gotten your dash wet at anytime?

Have you checked the UVCH and the heater in the fuel bowl? A quality scan would save a bunch of time here. It sounds like a short to ground IMHO. The wet fuse box is also a possibility like Chuck suggested.
    -Dan
    2006 Dark Slate F350 Lariat Tow Boss Complete with training wheels so I don't tip over.

Strictly Aux cooling lines and RR, Decked Block and heads rebuilt, ARP's, BPD EGR cooler and W/Pump, 6" Aussies, SCT W/ID Tunes, Snow MPG-Max Injection, Coolant filt, Train Horns, Edge CTS + Autometer EGT Boost Trans, Firestone bags,
    Mike, you will be missed. RIP 09-25-09
    Jerry, Keep on Honkin' RIP 04-05-10

I just don't see how the engine problem would be related to a block heater tripping a GFI outlet? as for the wipers vs. running it could be contact issues from water--corrosion causes weird things.
    Tom
    '03 psd 7.3ltr, AIS FILTER, DP-TUNER, ZOODAD, 6.0 TRANS COOLER,50 GALLON TRANSFERFLOW, AUTOMETER PYRO. AND BOOST,coolant filter, 4" MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST. custom made bellowed uppipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Slated4Greatness View Post
    Have you checked the UVCH and the heater in the fuel bowl? A quality scan would save a bunch of time here. It sounds like a short to ground IMHO. The wet fuse box is also a possibility like Chuck suggested.
    Checked the UVCH's and nothing out of the ordinary with wiggling wires and conections looked good. Havent looked into fuel bowl heater...wut should or shouldnt I see? I spoke to a service tech today and he suggested i check the GEM module...The windshield has been replaced once before....

Quote Originally Posted by mbwrench View Post
    I just don't see how the engine problem would be related to a block heater tripping a GFI outlet? as for the wipers vs. running it could be contact issues from water--corrosion causes weird things.
    I agree and am not sure where to go with this. I am thinking short somewhere but dont have easy access (see: cheap or close) to scan it while the cel is lit.

The time that I pulled the plug from the ICP sensor, the CEL was already on and this was before I put the wipers and the hiccups together so Im thinking that unplugging it had nothing to do with the fact that it stalled shortly thereafter...the wipers where on when it stalled. The plug on the ICP was soaked with oil but not enough for it to leak past the rubber seal yet...

Im off to check the GEM module before it gets too dark tonight...

EDIT: Forgot to mention in OP that I had a recall CPS in it already and replaced it with a NAPA version thinking that may have been it but that didnt work. LOL, surprised no one said CPS yet....
    Last edited by 99.5stroker; 02-01-2010 at 04:04 PM.
    99 F-350 4x4
    Sold....

98 Jetta Tdi
    Sold....
    71 Suburban K20

I had some of the same issues when I had my windshield leak. Take the panel off and see if there is any water getting under the dash.
    Barry aka - "BTS Bubba" If you need help with your truck feel free to drop me a line...99.5 F-350 PSD Lariat, 4x4 Off Road, CC, SB, 3.73's, NVK2, DP 60 Tow/80 Econ/120 Race/ 140 Ex, Terminator Twin Pumps, Swamps 200/30 AA Injectors, Swamps IDM, GT38R Turbo, BTS Trans and T/C, V-10 and Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Evans NPG Coolant, ART Cryogenically Treated & Slotted Rotors with Performance Friction Brake Pads, Dynatrac Spin Free HD Front Hubs, Ford AIS Intake, 4 inch Stainless Exhaust from turbo to 5 inch chrome tip. Auto Meter Cobalt Gauges. 35X12.5 BFG KO's on 16x10 Rims, Bilstein Shocks

Change the CPS...........

Quote Originally Posted by 99.5stroker View Post
    EDIT: Forgot to mention in OP that I had a recall CPS in it already and replaced it with a NAPA version thinking that may have been it but that didnt work. LOL, surprised no one said CPS yet....
    Sorry no help......
    Jody
    480-654-0194
    http://www.thepudgypup.com
    97 F350 OBS (Old Big and not so Slow any mo) 2wd, CCLB
    150/146 Baby Swamp Injectors, WWII
    3" DP/4" MBRP, AEM Water/Meth, AFE Intake, DP Tuner (Remote Start, 20 tow, 60 tow, 80 Econo, 120 race, High Idle) Solid Shift Extreme duty trans. BD exhaust brake/Trans lockup, 30 gallon transfer tank.

Checked the GEM module last night and didnt see anything like corrosion on the board. I looked around the area and didnt see anything that would lead me to believe that there is even a leak going inside.

I was able however, to flip the wipers on and off and make the truck stall while parked. There isnt an exact count of on/off rotations before it would stall. Sometimes it was 5, 11, 4, 8, 10, 18....not consistent but definately caused by engaging the wipers in delay mode.....

On the fuel bowl heater, what am I looking for exactly?

I really feel that the likelyhood of this being one issue is far fetched....and ideas are welcome.

Am I correct in assuming that the plug for the ICP sensor should be dry when I unplug it from the sensor itself? I would think so but I've been wrong before.
    99 F-350 4x4
    Sold....

98 Jetta Tdi
    Sold....
    71 Suburban K20

the wiper linkage cannot contact any wire harness and chafe can it??
    Tom
    '03 psd 7.3ltr, AIS FILTER, DP-TUNER, ZOODAD, 6.0 TRANS COOLER,50 GALLON TRANSFERFLOW, AUTOMETER PYRO. AND BOOST,coolant filter, 4" MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST. custom made bellowed uppipes.

Quote Originally Posted by mbwrench View Post
    the wiper linkage cannot contact any wire harness and chafe can it??
    I plan to pull the ECU or PCM (wutevr its called) tonight and see if any moisture is getting in there...the only thing I found anywhere near the gem and fuse panel was dust. There doesnt look to be ANY moisture inside the truck but I am going to pull the carpet back and look closer. I may also pull the cowling off and check the wiring for the wiper system.

I found a few cases of the same thing on the .ORG but know one ever posted a solution.

Thanks for the ideas guys. A 09-10 6.4 is sounding better and better...tired of the issues showing up on this thing due to age ect...I planned on keeping this thing forever and just tinkering away but it has gotten to the point that I dont trust it on roadtrips with the fam.
    99 F-350 4x4
    Sold....

98 Jetta Tdi
    Sold....
    71 Suburban K20

Road trips in extreme weather need reliable vehicle for sure!
    Tom

Looks like the next step is to pull the column apart. Sounds like you have a short.
    Barry aka - "BTS Bubba" If you need help with your truck feel free to drop me a line...99.5 F-350 PSD Lariat, 4x4 Off Road, CC, SB, 3.73's, NVK2, DP 60 Tow/80 Econ/120 Race/ 140 Ex, Terminator Twin Pumps, Swamps 200/30 AA Injectors, Swamps IDM, GT38R Turbo, BTS Trans and T/C, V-10 and Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Evans NPG Coolant, ART Cryogenically Treated & Slotted Rotors with Performance Friction Brake Pads, Dynatrac Spin Free HD Front Hubs, Ford AIS Intake, 4 inch Stainless Exhaust from turbo to 5 inch chrome tip. Auto Meter Cobalt Gauges. 35X12.5 BFG KO's on 16x10 Rims, Bilstein Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    Looks like the next step is to pull the column apart. Sounds like you have a short.

Oh goody!! Can I really...lol
    99 F-350 4x4
    Sold....

98 Jetta Tdi
    Sold....
    71 Suburban K20

tore th.e entire dash/column apart tonite. nothing. checked under cowl and went through wiper motor. nothing. checked underhood wiring. nothing. i find posts related to this on other sites and most say cps, but ive already done that twice. others never post a solution. didnt get to fuel bowl htr yet cause it got dark and i got cold. will look that one over tomorrow, even though i dont know what im looking for.
    99 F-350 4x4
    Sold....

98 Jetta Tdi
    Sold....
    71 Suburban K20

I know this may be out of the norm, but I do know on the mustangs the multi-function switch (turn signal stalk) would go bad and make the car do a bunch of weird things.

+ Reply to Thread