+ Reply to Thread

Thread: COX SCAM!!!!!!

COX SCAM!!!!!!

FYI to all Cox users. There is an email scam going around (again).

This one is an email that say's for a subject: UPGRADE YOUR COX.NET EMAIL ACCOUNT NOW OR LOOSE IT PERMANENTLY!!!

Here is the rest of the message.

Dear COX.NET Email User,

ALL WEBMAIL ADMINISTRATOR's would be conducting a scheduled routine maintenance to improve services to users. You will loose your email account during the upgrading period. For prevention of your account from been closed, we would need the following information from you to enable us preserve your Account.

CONFIRM YOUR EMAIL IDENTITY BELOW

Full Names:.......
    Email Username : ........
    Email Password : .......
    Date Of Birth:.........

You are to forward the above information about you to GENERAL COX.NET technical support center: cox.net_upgradedept@live.com.
    We apologize for the inconvenience this will cause you.
    We assure you more quality service at the end of this maintenance.

Your personal information will be secure. We take safeguarding your personal information very seriously.

Warning!!! COX.NET Account owner that refuses to send his/her details of his or her account to webmail administrator: cox.net_upgradedept@live.com within
    48 hours of receiving this warning will lose his or her account
    permanently.

Yours sincerely,
    COX.NET ADMINISTRATOR TEAM.
    Notification Code: WWP2H77JJAJ.

I talked to Cox this morning and they said it is a scam. After all, they already have this info. Also note that none of the email addresses to reply to are from Cox.

If you get this email, forward it to abuse@cox.net .

DO NOT reply to it, even if it is to say F you.
    Jody
    480-654-0194
    http://www.thepudgypup.com
    97 F350 OBS (Old Big and not so Slow any mo) 2wd, CCLB
    150/146 Baby Swamp Injectors, WWII
    3" DP/4" MBRP, AEM Water/Meth, AFE Intake, DP Tuner (Remote Start, 20 tow, 60 tow, 80 Econo, 120 race, High Idle) Solid Shift Extreme duty trans. BD exhaust brake/Trans lockup, 30 gallon transfer tank.

Smile scam

thank you good to know
    Jim in Chandler, 2000 F-350 CC SB, and yes it is "APG White", I Am The Cable Guy so any cable questions ask away. It is not so stock now, AIS , 4 inch exhaust, Fluidampr , Zoodad. Super Chip Tuner ,Got oil bypass single pass ,Fumoto Oil Drain Valve just need to get installed. hummmm looks like I need more stuff.

Thanks for the head up Jody....
    Barry aka - "BTS Bubba" If you need help with your truck feel free to drop me a line...99.5 F-350 PSD Lariat, 4x4 Off Road, CC, SB, 3.73's, NVK2, DP 60 Tow/80 Econ/120 Race/ 140 Ex, Terminator Twin Pumps, Swamps 200/30 AA Injectors, Swamps IDM, GT38R Turbo, BTS Trans and T/C, V-10 and Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Evans NPG Coolant, ART Cryogenically Treated & Slotted Rotors with Performance Friction Brake Pads, Dynatrac Spin Free HD Front Hubs, Ford AIS Intake, 4 inch Stainless Exhaust from turbo to 5 inch chrome tip. Auto Meter Cobalt Gauges. 35X12.5 BFG KO's on 16x10 Rims, Bilstein Shocks

FYI, most of those type messages are "form messages". The spammer/douchebag runs his program and it inserts the domain of whatever email its being sent to in to every place you see cox.net above. I would bet money that the same message is floating around with yahoo.com and msn.com, etc.

Best advice...NEVER EVER give your account information over email!
    Dennis Schroeder - Co-Owner of Strictly Diesel
    Strictly Diesel Webstore / sales@strictlydiesel.com
    LIKE US on FACEBOOK! / Check Us Out on YOUTUBE!
    Race Truck :: 5500# / 12.66 @ 105mph / Best 60' of 1.67 ... on 226k Mile PMRs! (PMR Engine Retired)
    Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)

Anyone who falls for these phishing scams deserves to be scammed... wake up people, this is nothing new.

send me your credit card number, PIN and last 3 digits on the back and I'll tell you how to identify a scam
    2006 6.DOH
    Stock
    CTS Gauge

That's not nice Phil. The problem is that there are sooooo many of these and some of them actually look legit. As much as I know about this stuff having worked 10 years in the I.T. field, there are still messages that I have to look over carefully because they look legit. When I get the really good ones I make sure to show my wife and daughter because they need to know how to tell when NOT to click the links.
    Race Truck :: 5500# / 12.66 @ 105mph / Best 60' of 1.67 ... on 226k Mile PMRs! (PMR Engine Retired)
    Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)

good advise Dennis.
    Tom
    '03 psd 7.3ltr, AIS FILTER, DP-TUNER, ZOODAD, 6.0 TRANS COOLER,50 GALLON TRANSFERFLOW, AUTOMETER PYRO. AND BOOST,coolant filter, 4" MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST. custom made bellowed uppipes.

Quote Originally Posted by mbwrench View Post
    good advise Dennis.
    The big problem is that there are more and more people getting the WWW everyday and are new.

An email like that looks legit, and OMG if I don't do it I will loose my email.

Vermin like that feed on the people that are un educated about this stuff. And I'd bet that everyone here was at that point when they started thier first account.

That is why I posted this thread. Spread it around, knowledge is the BEST line of defense.

Plus, NEVER give out info on line. Do like I did. Pick up the phone and talk to a person.
    Jody
    480-654-0194
    http://www.thepudgypup.com
    97 F350 OBS (Old Big and not so Slow any mo) 2wd, CCLB
    150/146 Baby Swamp Injectors, WWII
    3" DP/4" MBRP, AEM Water/Meth, AFE Intake, DP Tuner (Remote Start, 20 tow, 60 tow, 80 Econo, 120 race, High Idle) Solid Shift Extreme duty trans. BD exhaust brake/Trans lockup, 30 gallon transfer tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Anyone who falls for these phishing scams deserves to be scammed... wake up people, this is nothing new.
    I know there are a lot of ignorant people out there that deserve a kick in the behind every once in awhile, but what about the little ol lady that can't tell the difference? What about the mentaly disabled people that don't know any different? Some of these scams are pretty hard to tell for people like this... Some are pretty obvious to most people. Thanks for the heads up Jody!!!
    Shawn Underwood
    2006 Silver F-250 4x4 8" Pro Comp Lift w/MX6 Adjustable Shocks, 37x13.50 R20 Toyo MT, ARP Head Studs, EGR Delete, Banks Intercooler w/High Ram Intake Manifold and Boost Tubes, Banks Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust w/MBRP 3.5" Down Pipe/Cat Delete, Coolant Bypass Filter, SCT Xcal2 Tuner, Autometer Guages Pyro/Boost/Trans Temp/Water Temp, Amp Research Powersteps w/Custom LED Lights, Python Remote Start w/Turbo Timer, CB, SilverStar Head/Fog Lights, Fog Lights on w/High Beam Mod, High Idle Mod, 08 Diff Cover, Custom Mud Flaps, Coors Light Bottle Opener Installed By Tailgate and CB w/One LOUD PA System.

Phil does have a point. We need to be aware that we do not give out our personal information to anyone that we do not initial contact with. This unfortunately is a fact of life in this day and age. The elderly and others are going to fall for this type of scam unless we help educate them and offer to look at questionable materials for them. My parents are 74 and I have them send anything that they get to me or my brother to look at first. Don't forget to teach your children not to click on links in their email or pop ups too!
    -Dan
    2006 Dark Slate F350 Lariat Tow Boss Complete with training wheels so I don't tip over.

Strictly Aux cooling lines and RR, Decked Block and heads rebuilt, ARP's, BPD EGR cooler and W/Pump, 6" Aussies, SCT W/ID Tunes, Snow MPG-Max Injection, Coolant filt, Train Horns, Edge CTS + Autometer EGT Boost Trans, Firestone bags,
    Mike, you will be missed. RIP 09-25-09
    Jerry, Keep on Honkin' RIP 04-05-10

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBulletF250 View Post
    I know there are a lot of ignorant people out there that deserve a kick in the behind every once in awhile, but what about the little ol lady that can't tell the difference? What about the mentaly disabled people that don't know any different? Some of these scams are pretty hard to tell for people like this... Some are pretty obvious to most people. Thanks for the heads up Jody!!!
    Are you making fun of me.
    NEWMAN
    (602) 686-3776

75 Bronco 5.0, 5 spd
    08 Fusion 2.3, 5 spd
    10 Edge 3.5, 6spd(auto)

Every chance we get Newman.

Quote Originally Posted by ITPDiesel View Post
    Every chance we get Newman.
    Couldn't of said it better.....
    Shawn Underwood
    2006 Silver F-250 4x4 8" Pro Comp Lift w/MX6 Adjustable Shocks, 37x13.50 R20 Toyo MT, ARP Head Studs, EGR Delete, Banks Intercooler w/High Ram Intake Manifold and Boost Tubes, Banks Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow 5" Exhaust w/MBRP 3.5" Down Pipe/Cat Delete, Coolant Bypass Filter, SCT Xcal2 Tuner, Autometer Guages Pyro/Boost/Trans Temp/Water Temp, Amp Research Powersteps w/Custom LED Lights, Python Remote Start w/Turbo Timer, CB, SilverStar Head/Fog Lights, Fog Lights on w/High Beam Mod, High Idle Mod, 08 Diff Cover, Custom Mud Flaps, Coors Light Bottle Opener Installed By Tailgate and CB w/One LOUD PA System.

Poor Neman, he doesn't even know you are making fun of him..
    -Dan
    2006 Dark Slate F350 Lariat Tow Boss Complete with training wheels so I don't tip over.

Strictly Aux cooling lines and RR, Decked Block and heads rebuilt, ARP's, BPD EGR cooler and W/Pump, 6" Aussies, SCT W/ID Tunes, Snow MPG-Max Injection, Coolant filt, Train Horns, Edge CTS + Autometer EGT Boost Trans, Firestone bags,
    Mike, you will be missed. RIP 09-25-09
    Jerry, Keep on Honkin' RIP 04-05-10

Quote Originally Posted by Slated4Greatness View Post
    Poor Neman, he doesn't even know you are making fun of him..
    Shawn Underwood

+ Reply to Thread