+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Arizona Trailer Registration

We must have gotten lucky. We have 2 flat utility trailers and a 24' enclosed trailer and have permenant plates and tags on all of them.
    Nanci
    2000 F250 PS CCSB 2WD, APG White, aftermarket Strictly Diesel Air Filter and DP Tuner.
    71 Bronco-big, bad and green, 2003 Mustang-up and coming street terror, 1979 Bronco-old but steady.
    Want the BEST in PSD Performance Parts? Go to the best: See Dennis at Strictly Diesel
    Need service? Go to the best: See Nate at Strictly Diesel

Let me clarify one thing...it is possible to get permanent plates for any trailer with a GVW from 0-6000# and 10001# and over (not for 6001-10000 though). They will issue the tags and you can go on your merry way. They probably don't check the registration of the towing truck very often (if ever in some places) to verify that it has the right weight fee being charged. The problem comes if you drive across a scale and you've got permanent plates and you're not paying the right weight fee...then you get fined.

As an example, lets say I get permanent plates on my trailer and up the weight fee on my dually so I'm covered for what I tow. Then I load the trailer to a friend that isn't paying the right weight fee on his truck and he gets scaled. If the total weight of the truck, trailer and load exceeds the GVW listed on his registration, he gets fined.

On the other hand, if I loan out my trailer to the same friend with yearly plates, as long as the total weight of just the trailer doesn't exceed 10000# (no matter what the truck weighs), he's OK.

With a permanent plate, the weight fees are covered in the registration of the truck doing the towing. With a yearly plate, they are covered in the registration of the trailer. It's a convoluted mess!
    Dennis Schroeder - Co-Owner of Strictly Diesel
    Strictly Diesel Webstore / sales@strictlydiesel.com
    LIKE US on FACEBOOK! / Check Us Out on YOUTUBE!
    Race Truck :: 5500# / 12.66 @ 105mph / Best 60' of 1.67 ... on 226k Mile PMRs! (PMR Engine Retired)
    Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)

Thanks, Dennis. That makes it much easier to understand.
    Shawn Carlson
    Proud Navy Vet
    2005 Ford F-250 CCSB

OMG that makes no sense what so ever. Not your post Dennis, the law
    2000 Lincoln Naviagator

1988 Mustang Gt

Quote Originally Posted by albie30 View Post
    OMG that makes no sense what so ever. Not your post Dennis, the law
    Yeah, I agree with you, Albie. My post was that Dennis' post made the concept easier to understand what the law is, not that the law is reasonable (or understandable)!
    Shawn Carlson
    Proud Navy Vet
    2005 Ford F-250 CCSB

I was thinking about it later on last night and I think the easiest way to explain it is to compare it to insurance coverage.

With a PERMANENT registration, your coverage on your TRUCK has to be enough for the truck, trailer and load. If you have not paid for enough coverage on the truck and you get caught with a truck/trailer/load weight higher than the GVW listed on your truck registration, you'll be fined. This applies to ANYONE towing your PERMANENTLY REGISTERED trailer...there is NO coverage on the trailer, it comes from the truck towing it.

With YEARLY registration, your cover your truck and trailer separately. This limits the coverage on your trailer to 10k# though. Get caught with the total loaded trailer weight over 10k# and you'll be fined. The nice thing here is that you can loan out your trailer and not worry about the coverage on your buddys truck because it's covered in that you paid to register the trailer.
    Race Truck :: 5500# / 12.66 @ 105mph / Best 60' of 1.67 ... on 226k Mile PMRs! (PMR Engine Retired)
    Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)

Had to deal with this alot driving commercial truck.

What you should have done was rate your trailer at 9,999 and get perm plates. My trailer according to the 8 lug axles is rated for 18,000. I registered my trailer at 9,999 and paid like 125.00 for prem plates. Unless you have your truck registered as a commercial vehicle you wouldn't ever need to worry about being scaled. The portable scales are carried in the back of the Commercial enforcement suv's and they pull over commercial vehicles that look over loaded all day long and scale and inspect them. Driving our old 5500 and a 40' triple axle gooseneck you get to know these guys on a first name basses haha. Commercial enforcement does not pull over trucks and trailers to scale that are not commercial. If they did they could set in front of the scrap yards and tag people all day long for over load and unsecured load tickets.
    Just cause a trailer comes rated higher doesn't mean you have to leave it there. At my old job we had a 40' triple axle gooseneck trailer we had to do an emergency trailer pick up from highway patrol cause it had two blow outs and the other driver left it on the side of the road that night and they towed it. Well the Kodiak was in the shop getting work done and the only truck I had to pick it up was our 94 Dodge 2500. They wouldn't let me get the trailer cause the truck was not rated for it. So our boss went to the DMV and changed the registration on the trailer to 7,500 and gave me the registration. I took it to the tow yard paid the fine and they had to let me take the trailer. The guy was pissed cause he had jerked me around that morning and we basically out smarted him and he didn't like it much. He saw me hooking to it with the Dodge a came jumping my butt and the other officer I showed him the registration and told him to have a nice day haha he was pissed.
    Now if you do have your truck and trailer registered under ITP as comercial then everything they told is correct and it would be something to worry about rating it at 9,999.
    Chris(Rowdy)
    www.FaceBook.Com/RowdyRacksLLC
    480*221*3384
    Custom Mud Flap Kits Made And Ready To Install In 48 Hour's.

Chris,

I was specifically told that you can ONLY get a PERM plate for 6000# and less or 10001#+. I was told that rating the trailer at 6001-10000 automatically means a yearly registration.

My F350 (1 Ton) is registered as Commercial. When I purchased the truck, I was told that I was REQUIRED to register it as commercial because it's a 1 Ton, even though it is registered in my personal name.

That sucks, I didnt know all one tons had to be commercial. The trailer thing might be something that they changed, It has been like 5 years since I did mine. I know one thing the DMV is cracking down on is home made trailers. I made one for a buddy and he came back and said he need reciepts for all the metal, the axles and tires to prove its home made and not a trailer that was stolen and had the tounge changed out on. Then I gave him all the stuff he needed and when he went back they didnt even ask for any of it haha......
    Chris(Rowdy)
    www.FaceBook.Com/RowdyRacksLLC
    480*221*3384
    Custom Mud Flap Kits Made And Ready To Install In 48 Hour's.

Not sure if it's the same in AZ as CA, but any 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck is automatically registered commercial. You can change that however if you have a camper shell/tonneau/work body. Just make sure you don't get caught with non-comm plates with an open bed. The fines aren't cheap.
    RIP Muley 9-25-09
    You're ridin with the best now!

1999 F-250 XLT Crew Cab Short Box

4X4 7.3L Powerstroke
    Born On: 2-15-99

Specs:
    Tranny by JW, DP Tuner F5, ITP RR, Soon To Be Terminated, Walbro 392, 6637 Intake, On-Board Air, Full Kicker System, Kenwood Touchscreen DVD, Python 990, Much More To Come.....

"ALLGAVESOME, SOMEGAVEALL"

3/4 tons can be registered as non commercial but the 1 tons are automatic.

This leads to some of the HOA's having a hissy fit about parking your F350 in your driveway because it it registered as a commercial vehicle and they don't like "Work" trucks visible.
    -Dan
    2006 Dark Slate F350 Lariat Tow Boss Complete with training wheels so I don't tip over.

Strictly Aux cooling lines and RR, Decked Block and heads rebuilt, ARP's, BPD EGR cooler and W/Pump, 6" Aussies, SCT W/ID Tunes, Snow MPG-Max Injection, Coolant filt, Train Horns, Edge CTS + Autometer EGT Boost Trans, Firestone bags,
    Mike, you will be missed. RIP 09-25-09
    Jerry, Keep on Honkin' RIP 04-05-10

HOA=Nazi
    Tom
    '03 psd 7.3ltr, AIS FILTER, DP-TUNER, ZOODAD, 6.0 TRANS COOLER,50 GALLON TRANSFERFLOW, AUTOMETER PYRO. AND BOOST,coolant filter, 4" MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST. custom made bellowed uppipes.

My buddy had that problem so he thougt he would out smart them and put 2500 emblems on it . Not the sharpest tool in the shed
    2000 Lincoln Naviagator

1988 Mustang Gt

Quote Originally Posted by albie30 View Post
    My buddy had that problem so he thougt he would out smart them and put 2500 emblems on it . Not the sharpest tool in the shed
    It would actually work for most HOA's. They can't run your license plate to see what type of registration you have. If AZ plates have different patterns for commercials, they could tell by looking at that unless you have personal plates.
    RIP Muley 9-25-09
    You're ridin with the best now!

1999 F-250 XLT Crew Cab Short Box

4X4 7.3L Powerstroke
    Born On: 2-15-99

Specs:
    Tranny by JW, DP Tuner F5, ITP RR, Soon To Be Terminated, Walbro 392, 6637 Intake, On-Board Air, Full Kicker System, Kenwood Touchscreen DVD, Python 990, Much More To Come.....

"ALLGAVESOME, SOMEGAVEALL"

Hmmm im gonna have to dive into this more because they told me I couldnt register my truck for over 10k and when I went to talk to someone else they said I couldnt change it. My truck weighs 8500 by itself and I know with my huge toyhauler id be in deep doodo!! I was also told they go by gvw not registered weight. I was also told I was forced to get a Commercial lisence because my trailer(rv) weighs over 10k...so I am so confused!!
    Eric
    05 F-350 CC LB 4x4, Lifted...
    4" Exhaust, gauges, airhorns

+ Reply to Thread