+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arizona Trailer Registration

Arizona Trailer Registration

...what a racket!

So I went to register my trailer yesterday, that was a learning experience. The trailer I got is rated for 14,000#, and empty it weighs 2600#. I was given the following options for registration:
    1. Register it as 10,001# and get a permanent registration for about $900.
    2. Register it as 10,000# and get a "yearly" registration. It was $242 for 2 years and the registration cost will go down some each year for a while than bottom out.
    So, what's the difference you ask.

If I do option 1, I have to increase the weight rating on the registration of my truck. That was set at 11,500# by Sanderson Ford when it was registered and is currently costing me $63/year. With a permanent registration on the trailer, any truck that pulls it must be paying a weight fee that covers the truck, trailer and load. To be safe, I would have to bump my registration to at least 16,000# to cover the trailer and MY truck (assuming I don't tow anything heavier). At 16,000# the weight fee goes from $63 to $124 per year. If I wanted to cover the truck so that I could pull the trailer at it's full 14,000# GVW it would be even more.

If I do option 2, I do not have to change anything with the truck, but my trailer can never be over 10,000#. That limits me to a 7,400# load on the trailer. If I get scaled and I'm found to be over 10,000# total trailer weight, the fine is $1/lb over weight.

I did the math and if I own the same truck and trailer for 10 years, the permanent registration NEVER saves me any money. At 10 years I've laid out about $1500 between the permanent registration on the trailer and the additional "weight fees" I'm paying on the truck (over what I pay now). Since I don't know what the trailer registration will reduce to each year, I figured the 10 year example at the $120/year I paid for the first year...so the figure is high for sure. Anyway, at 10 years with a yearly registration I've only laid out $1200. I would have to own the truck and trailer for 15 years (assuming the yearly registration stays $120/year which we know it doesn't) for things to equal out...longer than that in reality but that makes my point.

That said, opting for the yearly 10,000# registration does limit the GVW of the trailer, which may not be a big deal for some. It's only "really" an issue if you get inspected/scaled and you're found to be overweight.

It should also be noted that you can walk into DMV and have your registration changed to a Permanent 10,001# any time I want to (and upgrade the weight fee on your truck at the same time). It's less expensive to do it after the trailer is a few year old (of course you've already paid a few years of yearly at that point).

I also learned that travel trailers can NOT get a permanent registration at all and boat trailers can ONLY get a permanent one.

I opted for the yearly registration since I won't be over 10,000# with my little truck and I'd rather save the money. Time will tell if that was a good choice or not, for my use I suspect it was.

Moral of this story...if you are getting a "utility/flatbed" type trailer with a GVW over 10,000#, you'll have to make this decision. One option will cost you more and the other will limit your legal GVW. Do your homework and pick the option that makes the most sense for you.

Oh yea...I also learned that the "WEIERS" signs we're seeing around town belong to the same Jim Weiers that own Weiers Trailers (where I got my trailer) and that he is actively working to straighten out some of the stupid trailer registration crap. I guess his efforts are the reason I was able to get a small motorcycle sized license plate for my trailer, so it doesn't hang down and get all bent up on curbs and stuff. I forget what else they said he's gotten passed.
    Dennis Schroeder - Co-Owner of Strictly Diesel
    Strictly Diesel Webstore / sales@strictlydiesel.com
    LIKE US on FACEBOOK! / Check Us Out on YOUTUBE!
    Race Truck :: 5500# / 12.66 @ 105mph / Best 60' of 1.67 ... on 226k Mile PMRs! (PMR Engine Retired)
    Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)

Very good info dennis.

Thank you

So let me put this in crayon for my own brain.

You can't put a full sized PSD on your trailer (Over 8,000lbs.) because you can get scaled and pay a huge fine (600 X 1 = $600?) What use is a trailer that is rated for 14k then?
    -Dan
    2006 Dark Slate F350 Lariat Tow Boss Complete with training wheels so I don't tip over.

Strictly Aux cooling lines and RR, Decked Block and heads rebuilt, ARP's, BPD EGR cooler and W/Pump, 6" Aussies, SCT W/ID Tunes, Snow MPG-Max Injection, Coolant filt, Train Horns, Edge CTS + Autometer EGT Boost Trans, Firestone bags,
    Mike, you will be missed. RIP 09-25-09
    Jerry, Keep on Honkin' RIP 04-05-10

Dan,

1. The trailer was purchased to haul my little toy around PRIMARILY. I'm good to go for that.

2. IF I need to haul a larger truck, it's likely to be around here. I'm not aware of any DPS mobile scales on any of the in town highways.

3. IF I determine at some point that I want to be able to haul more, I can change the registration on the truck and trailer and be legal to do so.

So, why did I buy such a heavy duty trailer...because I refuse to haul my truck on a lightweight "el-cheapo" one. The only reason it's rated for 14k# is because I wanted the 8 lug axles with brakes and the 235 tires. Otherwise it would have come with 6 lug axles, brakes on only one axle and been rated for 10k# or 12k# (IIRC).
    Race Truck :: 5500# / 12.66 @ 105mph / Best 60' of 1.67 ... on 226k Mile PMRs! (PMR Engine Retired)
    Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)

Dennis, I wasn't bagging on your for the nice trailer (You know I try to over build everything I touch), I was concerned about the stupid trailer laws. This makes me wonder what my truck is registered for and if my 15K+ trailer is legal.
    -Dan
    2006 Dark Slate F350 Lariat Tow Boss Complete with training wheels so I don't tip over.

Strictly Aux cooling lines and RR, Decked Block and heads rebuilt, ARP's, BPD EGR cooler and W/Pump, 6" Aussies, SCT W/ID Tunes, Snow MPG-Max Injection, Coolant filt, Train Horns, Edge CTS + Autometer EGT Boost Trans, Firestone bags,

Quote Originally Posted by Slated4Greatness View Post
    Dennis, I wasn't bagging on your for the nice trailer (You know I try to over build everything I touch), I was concerned about the stupid trailer laws. This makes me wonder what my truck is registered for and if my 15K+ trailer is legal.
    Hmmm. This is an interesting read for sure. I thought that all F-350's and above were considered commercial, so were registered at full GCVW...

PS. I'm legal
    Shawn Carlson
    Proud Navy Vet
    2005 Ford F-250 CCSB

The GVW you're paying for on your truck is right on the registration. You can see the "weight fee" there too.

Your trailer (being a travel trailer) is registered with a yearly renewal. It will be registered based on the GVW on the title and since it's not a permanent registration, the weight fee is built into the trailer registration. I was told that they do it this way with travel trailers because they don't want to upset people by forcing them to pay really high weight fees on their truck registration. They make too much money in sales tax and yearly registration fees to do something that might "upset the apple cart" so to speak.

You're not required to have the trucks GVW cover EVERYTHING unless you have a permanent registration.

Quote Originally Posted by carlson158 View Post
    Hmmm. This is an interesting read for sure. I thought that all F-350's and above were considered commercial, so were registered at full GCVW...

PS. I'm legal
    Sanderson Ford did the original registration on my truck. It's listed as 11,500#. It IS registered commercial.

Did they register yours at 11,500 at your request because you didn't typically tow anything up until now?

I'll check my registration when I head to lunch..
    -Dan

I don't remember them even asking...but that was almost 5 years ago and I'm getting old so who knows.

I was in the same delima(sp) when I bought my trailer. I went with the yearly because I didn't have the money to go permanent at the time.

Since buying my trailer Michael(zukbronco) has bought a few and some how gotten permanent plates for what I pay a year. Maybe he can explain what he is doing cause if there is a loop hole I wanna know about it and I am sure you guys would be interested too.
    NEWMAN
    (602) 686-3776

75 Bronco 5.0, 5 spd
    08 Fusion 2.3, 5 spd
    10 Edge 3.5, 6spd(auto)

Quote Originally Posted by offroadinginaz View Post
    I was in the same delima(sp) when I bought my trailer. I went with the yearly because I didn't have the money to go permanent at the time.

Since buying my trailer Michael(zukbronco) has bought a few and some how gotten permanent plates for what I pay a year. Maybe he can explain what he is doing cause if there is a loop hole I wanna know about it and I am sure you guys would be interested too.

Do you really want to know how...?
    Logan

Some call it turbo lag, I like to call it a curteous head start.
    2005 Excursion 6.0
    13.5 @ 99 with 1.7 60'
    1985 F-350 with a 96 f-350 dually psd frame front end and bed
    1984 Bronco fully built 5.0 cobra with vortech supercharger going in

Quote Originally Posted by 05ex View Post
    Do you really want to know how...?
    Hmm... There are a few hotties at DMV... maybe if I work some magic... never mind the would probably charge me more
    NEWMAN
    (602) 686-3776

75 Bronco 5.0, 5 spd
    08 Fusion 2.3, 5 spd
    10 Edge 3.5, 6spd(auto)

Your confidence is awe inspiring Newman...
    -Dan

I have a better one for you. At the current time I have 6 trailers that perform various functions. When I bought them and registered them, this is how it broke down.
    1. a 4x8 open utility trailer. I have to register it yearly, because it has my company name on it.
    2. a 8.5x 12 foot open utiliy trailer. Yearly registration because it is 10,000 weight rating on the build sheet. I only haul about 6000 lbs on it at the most, but I am stuck with 10 k
    3. 8 x16, 10k gvw, licensed yearly, same reason as number 2
    4. 31 foot travel trailer, I dont get it, but it is registered permanent.
    5. 4x8 flatbed with permanent registration
    6. 8x24 deckover gooseneck 14 k gvw, with registration for 14k. Permanent plates that cost me less than any of my annual renewal plates.

So, judging from this, what it boils down to, is who you get at the DMV window, andhow they want to help you.
    2006 F-250 Stock engine
    2001 Excursion Stock
    2000 f-250 Stock and done sold like a slave with 185k

+ Reply to Thread